Fillings rebuild and repair teeth that have become damaged through decay or general wear-and-tear. At Slateford Dental Care, we use tooth-coloured composite to create long-lasting and cosmetic fillings to repair and restore teeth.
Composite is a special resin containing a filler such as glass or ceramic which can be colour-matched to the shade of your teeth. As the composite is built directly to the tooth, there’s no need to take impressions or remove any healthy tooth to accommodate the restoration. The end result looks just like a natural tooth with full functionality.
What are the benefits to composite fillings?
- They blend in beautifully with your natural teeth
- Modern materials make them a durable choice
- Less of the tooth needs to be removed before placement of the filling
- They can restore decayed, chipped, worn or broken teeth
- The area to be treated is numbed with a local anaesthetic and the decayed part of the tooth removed.
- A gel is applied to the tooth, creating tiny holes to allow the composite material to bond effectively.
- The acidic gel is washed away and the tooth dried.
- A priming agent is applied so the composite filling will form a strong bond.
- The colour matched shade of composite is then applied in layers and moulded to match the shape of the tooth.
- The composite is hardened with a special bright light and then polished to look like a natural part of the tooth.
Looking after your filled tooth
To prevent decay forming around the composite filling, it is important to brush at least twice a day and see your dentist for regular check-ups.